Openstack has been growing in leaps and bounds. At PayPal, Openstack journey started with deploying Essex on a small scale. Along the way we have migrated to Folsom and Grizzly and also grown the scale of the cloud at a large scale.
However, operationalizing Openstack had its own challenges in terms of scalbility, relability, usability and monitoring. Given the open source nature, it provided the right platform for PayPal's cloud team to plug the gaps so that Openstack could be used in production.
In this talk, we present the various features, bugs and enhancements that we developed to make the cloud production ready. In the process providing PayPal an opportunity to contribute back to the community.
In this talk we present lessons learned building Openstack cloud at PayPal.
The talk primarily focuses on following topics:
- Scale issues across all components
- Scaling to thousands of hypervisors, tenants and users.
- High Availability for controllers
- Various mehcanisms like HA proxy, hardware load balancers.
- Tuning Nova for PayPal environments
- Scheduling enhancements for failure and availability domains.
- Auto assignment of floating IPs.
- Leveraging meta data for cloud init.
- Keystone integration with LDAP
- Challenges in providing single authentication mechanism across data centers.
- DNS as a service
- Host name registration across multiple DNS zones.
- Per tenant zone selection.
- Load Balancer as a service
- Ability to create vips and add pool members automatically.
- Enhancements to Horizon and integration with other open source frameworks (Asgard)
- Deployment Models
- Catering to varying requirements and deployment scenarios using common code base.
PayPal is an eBay (NASDAQ:EBAY) company. PayPal is headquartered in San Jose, Calif. and its international headquarters is located in Singapore. PayPal is a global leader in payment industry with more than 117 million active accounts in 190 markets and 25 currencies around the world, PayPal enables global commerce. More information about the company can be found at www.paypal.com.